Translate

Wednesday 3 April 2013

We'll meet again.

Today was a day of mixed emotions; Artie has got a place in a local care home and this was my last day of  getting him dressed and ready for the day. Although he has dementia and does not seem to know what is going on from one moment to the next, I felt that somehow he knew something was going on. For the first time since I have been looking after him he showed a bit of defiance at being washed and dressed. 'Why do I need someone to dress me? I am quite capable of doing it myself thank you'
I decided not to argue but started walking up the stairs singing 'Here we are again happy as can be, all good friends and jolly good company'
He immediately joined in with the song and followed me up the stairs. Although we went through our repetoire of songs, it was sombre bathroom today despite all my best efforts to be cheerful there always seemed to be a sad undertone.
Having finally finished, his wife emotionally thanked me for all me help and gave me a hug before I went in and shook Artie's hand for the last time. I never mentioned that this was the last time I would see him in the mornings, but as always he smiled and thanked me for my all my help; This seemed a touch more poigniant than on other days and I had to get hold my emotions before I replied.
'You'r'e welcome Sir, it is always a pleasure .' ....... Which it was!

I hope he settles in to his new place and his wife can now begin to rebuild her life.

 I am about to compile a list of his favourite songs to give to his new carer at the home, along with a cd for him to play. (hoping he will have a cd player)
I have promised to pop into see him from time to time and hopefully have a little sing song for old times sake.

The link below is our favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WHd6qJn4c

4 comments:

  1. I love this entry. Your patient was very lucky to have you tend to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimi Percival goes into homes to sing their type of songs. Perhaps when you go in you could suggest they book her to entertain the residents ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly will Aimi and already do. You already have contacts with this particular home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its obviously very rewarding at times being a careworker

    ReplyDelete